OCI 8.0 Fetching q's.

From: Will Hartung <Will.Hartung_at_msoft.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 22:40:02 GMT

I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on OCI 8.0 Fetching.

If you call OCIStmtExec, and pass it a number of iterations for a SELECT statement, the OCI will prefetch rows.

If you call OCIStmtFetch, and pass it a number of rows, it will prefetch as well.

Do I, as the programmer, have to care whether or not there is a prefetch amount when I'm iterating through the cursor, with OCIStmtFetch in a loop? Do I need to adjust numbers of rows to retrieve in the Fetch function call?

Assume that I'm not define any array result columns.

So, if I have 6 rows in my result set, the program should, inevitably, call OCIStmtFetch 6 times regardless of the numbers of rows specified in the call
(with the number be >0)? Or how many "iterations" were passed to the
StmtExec call? The iterations and prefetch numbers only affect local internal Oracle buffer space requirements and network hits, not how often I call OCIStmtFetch, correct?

Thanx for any wisdom here.

Will Hartung
(willh_at_msoft.com)