Re: HELP: user authentication

From: Daniel <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 21:22:10 -0000

Arne Rudolph wrote in message <3677a23d.524884_at_193.158.3.213>...
>Is there any way that an Oracle database running on a Unix server can
>authenticate it's users via a Windows NT PDC, or can authenticate them
>on the client side??
>
>Ciao,
> Arne

You can do what is called non-secure logins...

Both secure and non-secure connections require specific parameters to be setup before access is granted to the database. A non-secure connection is based upon a parameter within the workstation's ORACLE.INI file when running Windows 3.X. The parameter is called USERNAME. If this parameter is placed in the ORACLE.INI file and a user logs directly into an Oracle server which is configured to allow non-secure connections, then that user will be granted automatic access to Oracle. For Windows 95, the USERNAME represents the client's operating system username. It is stored in the registry data under the subkey "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\CurrentUser". To configure the Oracle server, set the initialization parameter REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT to TRUE, which allows Oracle to trust the client's operating system username when received over a non-secure connection, and use
it for account access. This is deemed as "non-secure" because anyone who has
physical access to that workstation can potentially log into Oracle. Moreover, whatever privileges have been granted to the Oracle user specified in the USERNAME parameter, are given to the person who is logged into that workstation. Received on Wed Dec 16 1998 - 15:22:10 CST