Optimizer Question

From: <imrad_at_icubed.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:54:50 GMT

I'm using a Oracle 8.0.4. Database on a Unix system and using the Cost Based Optimizer. When I submit a select statement does Oracle use only the Cost Based Optimizer OR does it use a combination of the Cost Based and Rule Bases Optimizers without any hints?

I was told that Oracle uses both Cost Based and Rule Based Optimizers on the select statement at the same time with the database running in Cost Based mode.

I'm trying to confirm if the above statement is true or just B.S.

Thanks

Russ
imrad_at_icubed.com