Re: Automatically Start/Stop Ora on AIX?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_nospam.home.com>
Date: 1998/12/14

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998 20:35:20 GMT, Scott Dudley <scott_at_telesoft.com> wrote:

>Forgive me if this isn't the correct forrum for this question. I'm
>not intimately familiar with AIX admin but need to setup a script on
>AIX 4.3 to automatically start/stop the database and tns listener.
>I've done this on other Unixes but don't know how to setup on AIX for
>shutdown. What I've done is create a script, /etc/rc.oracle, that
>takes two arguments, start and stop. I'm currently calling this
>script via /etc/inittab for run level 2 passing the start argument.
>How do I ensure a graceful shutdown?
>
>Many thanks in advance.

This should be in your install guide. Personally, I've had a lot of problems with various things deciding not to let Oracle shutdown, to the point of not even trying to gracefully shutdown with the rc, rather just implement operational procedures to ensure someone does it manually, and shell scripts for the times something will be done automatically (with checking and perhaps kills for the things that prevent shutdown, ie, webservers, custom applications, and people staying logged on).

jg

--
These opinions are my own.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry   Remove nospam to reply.