Re: To all Oracle Gurus

From: Rod Stewart <rod.stewart_at_afp.gov.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:49:08 +1000

I sort of tried it out a few months ago. I got hold of a Network appliance Fileserver for a few days to do some testing of performance etc. I only had a small database to play with (around 30GB), but then the netapp filer only had 50GB on it. Works very well and absolutely flies. I tried a few different configurations for the DB, with only the data files on the filer and with the whole shebang on the filer, seemed to work fine either way. I had some trouble getting my head around some of the security related issues - especially when trying to integrate with an NT domain server, but it all worked out fine. I do know of a site here in Australia that is implementing a solution similar to yours - based to a fair degree on my experiences, but I can't tell you much about it. I think that it is a tremendous idea, especially given the apparent endorsment of Network appliance Fileservers by Oracle.

I probably haven't helped you any, but there you have it

Regards

Rod J. Stewart