Error: Tablespace with duplicate pointer to data file.

From: Fred Johansen <fredj_at_pvv.org>
Date: 15 Dec 1998 00:00:03 +0100

I seem to have mangled my USER_DATA tablespace with the following creative combination:

I have added a datafile to my tabespace twice, with two different filenames. (By accidentally using / instead of \ the second time.)

The result is that my Oracle instance won't start up. I can mount it, but when I try to get the instance to open, it fails a consistency check on the data file.

The error message says that the file has the wrong file number. I think that this check fails on the second file name which has been added to the tablespace, after the file itself has already been associated with the tablespace during the first consistency check.

I've tried hacking the file names mentioned in the control files (ctl1orcl.ora and ctl2orcl.ora) to make the tabespace point to two different files instead, but I still get the problem of the file number of one of the files being erroneous from Oracle's point of view.

Is there a way of
- editing a control file in a proper way without opening Oracle?

--
Fred Johansen <http://www.pvv.org/~fredj/> Received on Mon Dec 14 1998 - 17:00:03 CST