Re: Basic OCI Information needed

From: <mgogala_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:34:00 GMT

In article <750iju$fti$1_at_newsreader4.core.theplanet.net>,   "Paul Sanders" <paul_at_jsl.softnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am completly new to the world of OCI and have a couple of questions.
>
> 1 Can windows tools be written using the OCI, or is it for Pro*C stuff only
> 2 If Windows, are there any sites that I can get some examples from
> 3 I've seen an example of connecting to the database that does'nt seem to
> use
> a DSN - How would I specify one?
> 4 Are there any stats on the performance differences between OCI and ODBC
>
> Any comments would be gratefully appreciated
>
> Paul

OCI stands for "ORACLE CALL INTERFACE" and that's precisely what is. Whether you decide to interface it with windows, Motif or something else is entirely up to you. OCI tends to be more efficient the PRO*C, but less portable. ODBC, on the other hand is slower then OCI, because there is an extra layer between Oracle and the program. If you need portability among databases, then ODBC is much better then OCI. OCI is a lean, mean and extremely efficient ORACLE library that helps you implement Oracle specific features. As for code samples, I have lots of C++ code using OCI, but it's all Solaris.

--
Mladen Gogala