check constraints - how implemented and how fast????

From: Steve Perry <sperry_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 11:21:56 -0800

Can anyone tell me how check constraintes are implemented on Oracle 7.3.x or 8.x?

I've been in the habit of creating indexes on all foreign keys. I assumed this would speed up the lookup when trying to delete a parent row that has child rows from another table using the key. I used to use triggers to implement the restriction, which needed the index for speed. I was talking to a friend and they said it's not needed with check constraints, but they couldn't tell me how Oracle does it.

Thanks,
Steve Received on Sun Dec 13 1998 - 13:21:56 CST