Re: Oracle Experience

From: <Ameen2_at_msn.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 17:08:02 GMT

In article <sthigpenF3rrpM.4s1_at_netcom.com>,   sthigpen_at_netcom.com (Sam Thigpen) wrote:

> I've been working as a UNIX Sys Admin for several years, but I would like
> to become a DBA as well. I've been looking into ways that I can learn
> Oracle and get an entry level position as a DBA that would involve some
> more senior SysAdmin work. One approach that I've been looking into
> lately, is studying for and getting my OCP certification. I'm assuming
> this will open some doors for me. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Getting your certification may get you in the door but it won't give you tenure. The only way you're going to get staying power in a good job is to really learn DBA well. My advice is to forget about certification now and concentrate on learning generic database design and administration. Start out by developing applications on Access since it's easy to use. Learn how to develop Access applications and design databases using a book like "Database Design for Mere Mortals" by Michael Hernandez. Concentrate on learning SQL with Access and avoid using macros and the query grid (write your own SQL programs). Don't concenrtrate that much on VBA with Access because SQL is more important. Once you're comfortable with Access, database design methodology and SQL, it will be a lot easier to move to Oracle as opposed to jumping cold into Oracle.