Re: Row level security in Oracle 8 ??

From: <mikkro_at_hbsi.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 02:39:22 GMT

In article <74qrmb$cjn_at_romeo.logica.co.uk>,   "Stephen Vear" <vears_at_logica.com> wrote:
> Can someone tell me whether there is any row level security in Oracle8 - eg
> set up a profile so that client XYZ has access to the sales table but only
> for records where the 'client' field is 'XYZ'.
>
> If this is possible i would appreciate a link to an appropriate technical
> resource / white paper
>
> TIA
>
> Stephen Vear
> vears_at_logica.com

Short answer -- no. The is no specific row level security.

You can use views to perform this task.

Table 1 --- a table no client has access to. View 1 -- selection of table 1 for client 'XYZ' granted select only to 'XYZ' View 2 -- selection of table 1 for client 'ABC' granted select only to 'ABC'

You can even use synonyms to convert each view into the same object for each user, so the code appears to be addressing a single object.

--
Michael Krolewski
mikkro_at_hbsi.com