File DSN with ODBC getting error -3000 and -7778

From: <phelan1_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 18:36:20 GMT

I am using NT workstation ver. 4 with service pak 3, connected to a Novell network. I have created a file DSN on my network drive which uses an oracle odbc 2.5 driver (this is used to replace and remove the system DSN).

When Visual basic 5 connects to an Oracle table, I get a reserved error message -3000 which says that there's no message for this error. On the other hand, using my old system DSN works and completes a connection to the database. The part of the vb code: sConnect = "ODBC;UID=XXX;PWD=XXX" is being used to use the file dsn.

Using Access97 to create a new table and link it to an Oracle database results in a reserved error -7778, when using a file DSN. However, it works fine with my old system DSN.

Using Microsoft Excel is successful using either file dsn or system dsn.

Is there a trick to setting up the file dsn or is it as easy as it looks? Nonetheless, does Microsoft support this use of file DSN being located on a network?

Please pass my message to others who you think would be of help replying to this problem. Thank you for your help. My Email address is phelan1_at_my-dejanews.com