Re: How to hide sqlplus login/passwd

From: Mike Spalinger <mspaling_at_sni.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:29:30 -0700

Here's some info from another thread. It says to use /nolog.

From the SQLPLUS manual:

Syntax

SQLPLUS [[-S[ILENT]] [logon] [start]]|-?

where:

logon

Requires the following syntax:

username[/password] [@database_specification]|/|/NOLOG

start

Allows you to enter the name of a command file and arguments. SQL*Plus passes the arguments to the command file as though you executed the file using the SQL*Plus START
command. The start clause requires the following syntax:

@file_name[.ext][arg ...]

See the START command in this chapter for more information.

Terms and Clauses

You have the option of entering logon. If you do not specify logon and do specify start, SQL*Plus assumes that the first line of the command file contains a valid logon. If neither start nor logon are specified, SQL*Plus prompts for logon information.

Refer to the following list for a description of each term or clause:

username[/password]

Represent the username and password with which you wish to start SQL*Plus and connect to Oracle. If you omit username and password, SQL*Plus prompts you for them. If you enter
a slash (/) or simply enter [Return] to the prompt for username, SQL*Plus logs you in using a default logon (see "/" below).

If you omit only password, SQL*Plus prompts you for password. When prompting, SQL*Plus does not display password on your terminal screen.

/

Represents a default logon using operating system authentication. You cannot enter a database_specification if you use a default logon. In a default logon, SQL*Plus typically attempts
to log you in using the username OPS$name, where name is your operating system username. See the Oracle7 Server Administrator's Guide for information about operating system
authentication.

/NOLOG Establishes no initial connection to Oracle. Before issuing any SQL commands, you must issue a CONNECT command to establish a valid logon. Use /NOLOG when you want to have a
SQL*Plus command file prompt for the username, password, or database specification. The first line of this command file is not assumed to contain a logon.