Database connection

From: <srikrishnas_at_delhi.tcs.co.in>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:43:11 GMT

Hi, We are using 'select' statement continuously to check whether database is up or not. The statement which we fire is (EXEC SQL SELECT TO_CHAR(sysdate,'dd-mm-yyyy hh24:mi:ss') INTO :tempdate from dual). The problem we are facing is that after executing this statement for quite a large no of time(say after runing this for an hour)it gives NO DATA FOUND error. Whats the explanation of this error?? Is there any other better way of checking the availability of database?? We can not use connect statement to check database as our application is threaded and many different threads are performing database operations, if we use connect statement than our application will be dead slow.

Thanks in advance,
Sri Krishna Saxena.