Re: ODBC-Driver for ORACLE 7.3 /Win95

From: Allan Gould <allang_at_sco.remove_me.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 08:51:51 +0000

Matthias Gresz wrote:

[snip]

> > Is SQL-Net needed ? I have't installed SQL-Net!
>
> Of course. SQL*Net is the method to access Oracle via a network. ODBC,
> regardless which vendor, relies on SQL*Net. Install SQL*net, sue
> SQL*Neteasy to configure a database alias and use this alias to
> configure your ODBC-connection.

ODBC does not explicitly rely on the RDBMS vendor's proprietary networking software. Our driver, SCO SQL-Retriever, does not need SQL*Net installed to run with Oracle (a big cost saving!): we provide all that is necessary to make the ODBC connection except the TCP/IP stack (which usually now comes with 32-bit Windows). In the case of Oracle, the RDBMS itself may use SQL*Net internally to communicate, but that still doesn't mean you need SQL*Net installed on the UNIX box.

SCO SQL-Retriever. Take a look at
http://www.sco.com/vision/products/sqlretriever/ for more information and a downloadable eval.

Allan Gould
(allang at sco dot com)
(Please remove anti-spam measures if replying) Received on Thu Dec 10 1998 - 02:51:51 CST