stupid newbbie question

From: Kent Eilers <kent.eilers_at_pca.state.mn.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 16:28:00 -0600

I writing some PL/SQL procedures and functions and have come up against a problem whenever a query returns no rows (ala the ORA-01403: no data found error message). I've looked in three books to get a strategy on dealing with this and have come up with zilch.

Basically I do not want to go to an exception handler when this happens. I thought I had escaped this drainhole by first running a query to dump the count(*) into a local variable. But this still triggers the 1403 error.

What do all you PL/SQL pro's do? My (rather limited) understanding of the exception handler is you cannot 'on error resume....' so how do deal with this?

Any response greatly appreciated! Received on Tue Dec 08 1998 - 16:28:00 CST