Oracle Connectivity TCP/IP only

From: <selvakum_at_tech.iupui.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 19:33:19 GMT

Hi,

Currently, we have a standard NT server installation with TCP/IP and IPX/SPX protocol loaded. During the installation of Oracle Server 8.x on this box, it seems that the TNS listener automatically configured itself to communicate with all underlying protocols installed on this machine.

Post this operation, the client has communicated an interest to remove the IPX/SPX protocol from machine. After trying to remove this protocol from 'Network Neighborhood'. The TNS listener service failed and when trying to open ANY oracle enterprise tool after entering the login and service credentials the error TNS listener failed dialog box appeared.

Consequently, the ipx/spx protocol was readded to ensure oracle DBMS functionality. However, we still require that this protocol is removed. How do we do this so that the TNS listener ONLY communicates (or is bound) to the TCP/IP protocol.????

We understand that the following files are associated with communications, and that is all we know.

SQLNET.ORA
TNSNAMES.ORA
LISTENER.ORA
NAMES.ORA
CMAN.ORA Any help and direction on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Paul W.Ford & Selva Kumar

--

K.Selvakumar