Re: Need To Dummy-Down Oracle

From: TurkBear <johng_at_nospam.mm.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 16:49:41 GMT

Jim,
Not to belabor this, but Oracle is absolutely indifferent to 'duplicate' field names...The field name, formally, is schemaname.tablename.fieldname so there is no way to have duplicate ( in a real, that is identical sense ) field names since the same schema cannot have duplicate table names...

The example Doug provided appears to be incorrect - for example I have 2 tables ( job_info and personal_info ) both have a field called empl_nbr
Neither field is indexed, neither is a primary key nor a foreign key; there is no dictionary linking between them - in other words, just 2 tables, plain and simple ( lousy design, but just used to show this example )....

I can use
select empl_name,empl_job_cd from
personal_info,job_info
where
personal_info.empl_nbr = job_info.empl_nbr order by empl_nm;

This runs fine....the 'duplicate' field names present no problem to Oracle....

Hope it clarifies and doesn't further obscure...

John Greco

"Doug Stone" <dstone_at_res-q.com> wrote:

>Jim:
>>Ahh... the following query will give you a problem
>>select emp_id,first name, city from employee, address where
>>employee.emp_id=address.emp_id;
>>this won't
>>select e.emp_id,first name, city from employee e, address a where
>>e.emp_id=a.emp_id;
>>or
>>select employee.emp_id,first name, city from employee, address where
>>employee.emp_id=address.emp_id;
>>Jim
>>
>Yes. Qualifying table names are something to watch. I will look into this
>possibility.
>
>Thank you.

To reply please remove the 'nospam' part of the address Received on Mon Dec 07 1998 - 10:49:41 CST