Question about finding maximum and minimum

From: <thtsang_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 06:27:27 GMT

Hello,

I have a silly question about SQL statements. I have the following SQL statement:

select t1.a
from t t1
where t1.a >= a1 and

      t1.a <= a2

where a1, a2 are 2 variables that are defined somewhere else, so that they cannot be used anywhere else in the SQL statement.

However, I only need the maximum and minimum of the results. That is, the following SQL statement will suit my need:

select max(t1.a), min(t1.a)
from t t1
where t1.a >= a1 and

      t1.a <= a2

The problem is that I cannot change anything in the original SQL statement (I know this is silly but I am under such restriction.) What I can do is only adding something at the end. It can involve a sub-query. Also, what makes the problem challenging is that I cannot use a1 and a2 in the thing I add to the end.

Please tell me how to do this, or whether it is impossible to do this in one SQL statement.

Thank you very much

Anthony