Re: Need To Dummy-Down Oracle

From: Doug Stone <dstone_at_res-q.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 08:17:37 -0800

Barbara Kennedy wrote in message ...
>Not sure I understand what you mean. You can have a table called employee
>with a column called emp_id and you can have another table called address
>which also has a column called emp_id. Not an unusual thing at all. If
>Powerbuilder does not like that (I am not real familiar with Powerbuilder)
>you should be able to build a view of one of the tables and rename the
>column in the view:

Barbara, thanks for the feedback. I may be wrong, but when I was forward engineering our SQLA db to Oracle, Oracle issued many error msgs. One group of error msgs dealt with identically named columns. It seemed that whenever the db had a column name that appeared in more than one table, but the two columns were not linked with RI constraints, Oracle complained. I've now refocused on another part of the project, so I won't be able to verify my belief for another week. Received on Sun Dec 06 1998 - 10:17:37 CST