Re: OCP Practice (and possible actual) tests

From: NiteOwl <chong01_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 02:54:59 +0800

>I've noticed a few notes in here about the OCP testing materials, but
NOTHING
>about the actual use of the materials and/or the testing process...
>
>Has anyone using the SelfTest Software practice tests noticed some rather
>glaring inaccuracies? For example, a question may ask which dictionary
table
>contains the source code for an object, and give as the correct answer a
table
>that contains NO source code.

Yes, most of the time you could cross reference with Training Manual or Online Docu
which explains why it's the most appropriate answer.

>I'd suggest that anyone using these tests NOT believe the answers without
>checking them out......... Review EVERY question it says you got wrong and
GET
>CONFIRMATION using the actual Oracle interface.

That's what I did. It's a good tools for revision and find out which area you
are weak in, before the taking the actual test.

>BUT, when the same question shows up on the actual test, do you put the
wrong
>answer that the practice test thinks is right, or do you put the actual
correct
>answer on the test and HOPE someone figured out the practice was wrong and
>corrected it for the test? Did anybody from Oracle check these tests out
>VERIFY the accuracy of the questions and answers? Knowing Oracle, is that
>really DUMB question?

Not that I can remember, there's only 2-4 exactly phrased questions appeared in
each exams for DBA/Track and there are pretty straight forward. The rest have
to depend on your understanding and hands-on experience. Personally, I feel that the SQL, Admin, Backup/Recovery exams are OK. If you have done enough homework, U should be able to pass on the first try. However, Performance Tuning is a bit tricky and best taken when you have at least
complete a tuning cycle at work.

NiteOwl Received on Fri Dec 04 1998 - 12:54:59 CST