Re: Web enabled applications

From: <cary_at_nams.net>
Date: 1998/12/03

Hello,

  First, if you intend to use Web-enabled Oracle Forms and Reports, you need to have Oracle Developer Server (not just Oracle Developer). Developer Server includes the Forms Server and java client applet, which together provide the same functionality of the standard Forms runtime engine. I think that Developer Server also includes a Reports cartridge and associated software for use in the Oracle Web Server/Appication Server product. Furthermore, if you are working in a Windows environment, I suggest you download a copy of Oracle's JInitiator from Oracle's website. JInitiator is a package which contains an improved JDK (OJDK) and provides a method of selecting Oracle's JRE/JVM. In short, JInitiator fixes some bugs/features of Sun's standard JDK allowing Forms to run a little better/smoother. Concerning a Web server, if you Web-enable Forms only, you can use just about any Web server you want to, since you can deliver Forms with or without a Web cartridge. (BTW, your Web listener(s) will be included with whichever Web server you choose to use.) However, if you add Web-enabled Reports to the mix, I believe you have to go with the Oracle Web Application Server, since Reports are implemented as a Web cartridge. I could be wrong about this last part, though, so perhaps someone else could comment on this particular point.  If you need further information about Oracle's product offerings, Web cartridges, etc., I encourage you to visit Oracle's website. I hope this helps.

Cary

In article <36661234.BC472A7E_at_aryabhat.cs.umsl.edu>,   "Sanjiv K. Bhatia" <sanjiv_at_aryabhat.cs.umsl.edu> wrote:
> --------------0C62E207360F88A74913B530
>
> Hi all:
>
> I want to develop an intranet application using Developer 2000 Forms and
> reports. What are the different Oracle components that I need to run my
> application on intranet. I am looking for components such as Oracle web
> server and web listener.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sanjiv
>
> --------------0C62E207360F88A74913B530
>
> begin: vcard
> fn: Sanjiv Bhatia
> n: Bhatia;Sanjiv
> org: University of Missouri -- St. Louis
> adr: Math & Computer Science Dept;;8001 Natural Bridge Road;St.
 Louis;MO;63017;USA