Re: How do I switch from M$ to Oracle products?

From: Daniel Clamage <dclamageNOSPAM_at_telerama.com>
Date: 1998/12/03

Goto www.oracle.com then the Oracle Store then Trial software and order yourself a trial copy of Enterprise Developer Suite for $4.95. It comes with a developer's license that says develop your application (no time limit - the software doesn't stop working after 30 days) but you must buy a full license when you hit production, which is an incredibly better deal than Bill will ever offer you. EDS comes with Oracle 8.04 Enterprise Edition, Designer 2.1, Developer 2.1, Developer Server, Application Server 4.0, Web Server 3.0, JDeveloper (Imprise's Java IDE), and some 3rd part tools. If you join OTP at http://technet.oracle.com you'll get a 10% discount when you do purchase the suite.

--
- Dan Clamage
http://www.telerama.com/~dclamage
Steven Hill wrote in message <36660C15.762E7A0F_at_remove.ibm.net>...

>Most of the recommendations to your posting are Windows related, but you've
stated
>you are interested in another path. If you want to remove yourself from
Windows
>dependancy then consider Java and Oracle. The Java tools are maturing
rapidly (speed
>and stability) as is the JDK (Java classe libraries) and once they do then
Java will
>be absolutely potent development environment... but even so right now, in
their
>current state, they are still very good. Oracle is a big supporter of Java
(see
>Oracle 8i announcement). Java may not be ready for primetime for some
applications
>(printing intensive applications for example) but it would be a great long
term
>decision. Start now becaue you will not learn it over night...
>
>--
>Steven Hill,
>Computer Catalyst, Inc.
>
>Billiam wrote:
>
>> This not meant to be a flame, but I'm tired of working with low-quality
>> software - and I would like to swtich to working with high-quality
software.
>> I've spent a small fortune trying to keep up with Bill Gate's annual
upgrades to
>> every single buggy developers product in the MS suite. From the
incredibly
>> crappy Access to the super-bloated VB6. I hope to spend my next fortune
on
>> tools that are more stable, last longer, and do not crash as often.
>>
>> I find Oracle8i very intriguing, but I am not familiar with the Oracle
product
>> line. I thought Oracle client-server work was done using Developer2000 +
>> Oracle7. It looks like there is a change in direction, and everything is
being
>> rolled in to Oracle8i using Java. Is this accurate? Or is that just for
>> "ultra-thin" clients?
>>
>> I am use to VB + MS-SQL and Delphi+Interbase. Should I be looking in to
>> Developer2000+Oracle8 or Oracle8i? I don't even know what tools are
available,
>> the ones that caught my eye (WebDB) appear to still be in beta.
>>
>> Can I get Personal Oracle8 for free? Will that be a good learning tool?
Is