How do we select multiple return rows on a single line?

From: <ed_at_kideys.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 21:29:38 GMT

I would like to assemble a select query that lists all of the returned data in a single line - suppressing the carriage returns between them. For use essentially as a "field" in a larger parent query.

For example, if I have a table "parent (name, age, sex)", and a seperate table "child (name, parent name)".
I do not know how many children a given parent has (zero to N).

I'd like the report output to look something like:

Parent Name	Age	Sex	Children
Fred		32	M	Sue, Betsy
Karen		40	F	Tom
Bob		15	M
Mark		29	M	Abe, Bill, Cindy

But I do not know how to write the query such that all the children can be returned in a single "field" of the parent query.

All of my attempts at this thus far has resulted in one child per row returned, with the parent data on each line - which really isn't what I'm looking for at all.

Ed Kideys