Startup Nomount Gives ORA-01031 Error

From: Andy Speakman <ams_at_tubedale.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 12:20:43 +0000

Hi everyone...

Probably a simple problem here: I'm using Oracle 7.3 on NT for the first time (usually use UNIX) and am attempting to set up a new database, SID=ORAC.

I've followed the (extensive) online Oracle Documentation to the letter as follows:

  1. Created new INITORAC.ORA (obviously with different path format, no core_dump_dest, etc.)
  2. Created new Oracle service through Instance Manager.
  3. Altered ORACLE_SID variable.
  4. Created new makedb.sql file.

So far so good. However, when I attempt the STARTUP NOMOUNT PFILE=... I get ORA-01031 - Insufficient Privs. (I've successfully connected internally using the password set up in step 2, and received the old 'Connected to an idle instance' message).

What am I doing wrong..?

Thanks in advance,

Andy. Received on Thu Dec 03 1998 - 06:20:43 CST