Connecting DOS and Win95 Clients to ORACLE 7.3

From: Louis W. Edwards <lwedward_at_ekx.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 07:23:23 -0500

     I am in the process of upgrading our Oracle Server from 7.1 to 7.3
     and SQL*Net from 1.2 to 2.3.  We have both DOS and WIN95
     clients accessing applications on a Netware 4.11 server and the
     oracle database on a Netware 3.12 server.  The current
     communications protocol is SPX/IPX.

     Here's what I need to accomplish and the problems encountered:

     Need:      WIN95 32-bit ODBC connections via SQL*Net V2.3
     Problem: none

     Need:      Access to the oracle database from Excel 97 and Access 97
     Problem:   Excel ok, but Access hangs when attaching a table.

     Need:      A version of SQL*Net that will allow DOS clients to
     connect to a 7.3 server and run SQL*Forms 3.0, etc.
     Problem:   Oracle Support tells me that it can't be done, but they did
     dig around in the attic and found SQL*Net V2-Lite which supposedly
     allows V1 clients to emulate a V2 client (connect via V1 strings).

     Problem:   SQL*Net V2-Lite is a TCP/IP application, our current
     protocol is, of course, SPX/IPX.  (Plus, since it is no longer a
     'shipped' product, it's not supported either).

     FYI:       I configured the Listener for both protocols, then loaded
     both Netware protocol stacks on the client.

     Problem:   I can ping from one to the other, but when I try to connect
     to the database from SQL*Plus/SQL*Forms, the client hangs.

     Need:      Better instructions on how to set up SQL*Net V2-Lite.  Will
     it actually do what I need? What needs to be modified in config.ora
     (especially since I've also had to switch protocols).  Is there an IPX
     version?

     FYI:       The DOS clients already use a TCP/IP stack called ICETCP
     which allows terminal-host connections to UNIX servers over our WAN.
     ?:         Can I use ICETCP to connect to a Netware server? Problem:
     I can't have both stacks loaded at the same time, which
     would be a major inconvenience to our users.

     Any insight/help on any portion of the above would be greatly
     appreciated.  Please e-mail me at carmen_lipscomb_at_supertelcom.com

     Carmen