Re: Updating a table with a function call - pragma problems!

From: Ernie Juanengo <juanengo_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:38:16 GMT

I don't think it's because the function has to look at the database to run the procedure. Certainly it is allowed to do that. But I believe it is because Oracle can't tell what kind of magic (DML) you may be performing within the procedure. Oracle doesn't want any INSERTs, UPDATEs, or DELETEs in a function that is called within a SQL statement. Because the procedure may have such statements in it, Oracle would just rather disallow the procedure call altogether, to avoid the trouble, so to speak. If there are no INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE statements in the procedure you are planning to call, I think your only option is to stick that code, however complicated, in the function itself.

I may be wrong in saying that is your ONLY option. If I am, I hope you get a few more responses. Good luck. Received on Wed Dec 02 1998 - 22:38:16 CST