Re: SQL ENQUIRIES!

From: <mgogala_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 02:13:25 GMT

In article <7443he$aia$1_at_ash.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,   "Kenny Lim" <Kennylim_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am kinda stuck here trying to create a row below every invoices
> number spaced and totaled. Therefore will be able to get a
> summary overview of the report. Does anyone know how to
> do it ? Please Advise.
>
> Thanks in Advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ken
>
> select invoice_id,
> menu_id,
> description,
> quantity,
> (price * quantity) as subtotal,
> (price*quantity * 0.085) as tax,
> (price*quantity * 0.085+price*quantity) as total
> from menus;
> where invoice_id = invoice_id
> and menu_id = menu_id;
>
> Result : (HOW DO I GET A TOTAL SUMMARIZED AT THE END OF EVERY INVOICES?!)
>
> INVOICE_ID MENU_ID DESCRIPTION QUANTITY SUBTOTAL TAX
> TOTAL
> ---------- --------- ------------------------- --------
> - --------- ----- -----
> 1001 1 Peking Spareribs 1
> 9 . 77 9.8
>
> 1002 2 Peking Duck 1
> 7 .60 7.6
>
> 1003 3 Walnut Shrimp 2
> 16 1.36 17.4
>
> 1004 4 Kung Pao Chicken 1
> 7 .60 7.6
>
> 1005 4 Kung Pao Chicken 1
> 7 .60 7.6
> 1005 5 Szechuan Chicken 1
> 7 .60 7.6
>
> 6 rows selected.

By using Oracle*Reports, Discoverer or MS-Excel. Don't torture the tool which wasn't written for writing reports with doing so. Another good idea would be to use PL/SQL and dbms_output to generate such a report or server side Java (system.util.println should be helpful here!). Perl is another solution, because it's format specifiers make it possible to write nice reports. To make a long story short, there are about 1,000,000.00 alternatives, the worst of which is SQL*Plus.

--
Mladen Gogala