Re: Reserved Error -7711

From: TurkBear <johng_at_nospam.mm.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 17:15:39 GMT

"Andy Skingsley" <askingsley_at_innogistic.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am using access 97 with Oracle 7.3 and am getting the above message. Its
>not happening all the time, but it does happen enough to cause irritation
>and doesn't look particularly helpful or professional. Both myself and my
>clients are using NT Workstation 4, and my clients are using Nouvelle
>Netware (I can't remember the version). THe difficulty in tracing what this
>message means is made worse by its inconsitency of arrival - it can occur at
>any time and for no apparent good reason. It is always followed by Dr
>Watson closing my Access application. Any data entered is lost.
>
>I am led to belive that this message is generated by Oracle since I have
>found this number when doing internet searches. Any cles anybody?

Try this info:

                                 Problem Repository

  1. Prob# 1028864.6 WIN 3.1 MSACCESS -- ODBC CONFORMANCE ERROR -7711
  2. Soln# 2076377.6 IF USING 7.2 OR LATER DATABASE, UPGRADE TO THE LATEST O
  3. Prob# 1028864.6 WIN 3.1 MSACCESS -- ODBC CONFORMANCE ERROR -7711
Problem ID          : 1028864.6
Affected Platforms  : Microsoft Windows
Affected Products   : Oracle ODBC Driver
Affected Components : ODBC V01.11.01.05.XX
Affected Oracle Vsn : V07.01.06.02.XX

Problem Description:

"ODBC Specification Conformance Error -7711" is reported when using Microsoft Access or Visual Basic on Windows 3.1.

Related Terms:

ODBC
Conformance
7711
-7711
ORA-7711
ORA-07711
Win
Access
Visual
Basic

+==+

Diagnostics and References:

2. Soln# 2076377.6 IF USING 7.2 OR LATER DATABASE, UPGRADE TO THE LATEST O

Solution ID         : 2076377.6
For Problem         : 1028864.6
Affected Platforms  : Microsoft Windows
Affected Products   : Oracle ODBC Driver
Affected Components : ODBC V01.11.01.05.XX
Affected Oracle Vsn : V07.01.06.02.XX

Solution Summary:

If using 7.2 or later database, upgrade to the latest ODBC driver (available at http://www.oracle.com/). Otherwise, increase the Win 3.1 swap file size and make it "permanent".

Solution Description:

In older versions of our ODBC driver (such as 1.11) this error can occur under low memory conditions. It is possible this could occur in later versions of the driver but in practice it does not.

Ordinarily, Windows 3.1 places about a 8 meg swap file in the \WINDOWS directory. Even if you tell Windows to increase the size of this temporary swap file, it does not immediately grow.

We have found that with large exports or imports with MSAccess that consume a lot of memory, it is neccesary to create a large "permanent" swap file.

To do this, go to the control panel, click on 386Enhanced Icon, then click on Virtual Memory.

Create a large permamnent swap file (for example, 40 Meg-- this number varies depending on the size of your MSAccess activity) and then reboot.

Once rebooted, use File Manager to look to see if the swap file got created. In the menu, go to "View-->By File Type" and check off "show system/hidden files", then check off "View-->Sort by Size" and also "View->All File Details". Look for the swap file in the root of C: or in C:\Windows.

Once you verify the swap file is generated and is the proper size, re-run your testcase. If you still get the error and your testcase is huge, consider retrying with a bigger swapfile.

Once you are done with your memory intensive operation, it is advisable to reset the swap file back to temporary.

Hope it helps,
John Greco
To reply please remove the 'nospam' part of the address Received on Wed Dec 02 1998 - 11:15:39 CST