Re: Search on Child Record Set

From: Alan D. Mills <alanm_at_uk.europe.mcd.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:58:43 -0000

????

I agree that the quick example I chose to describe my question is not the most perfect piece of database design in the World. It was the first example that came to mind to describe the problem.

I simply assumed that EMP_SKILL has a foereign key to EMP and another column which is the skill's name. Why describe three entities when knowledge of two is enough to solve (or in this case describe) the problem?

Yes, this should, in any real life system, be an intersection entity but to describe it as such for the purposes of the problem at hand seemd a little superfluous at the time.

Thomas's solution made the right assumptions and has pojnted me in the direction I wanted.

Thanks Thomas (again!!!).

--
Alan D. Mills