Re: Constraint implementation question

From: David Pattinson <david_at_addease.com.au>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 17:51:14 +1100

Dan,

It depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to ensure that everything in the column is in upper case, I'd suggest a pre-insert trigger to set the incoming value to upper(new_text). This way you will never have to worry about handling errors in any application sitting on top of the database. Alternatively you could use a check condition on the table, insisting that "new_text = upper(new_text)" which will raise an error if any lower case data is submitted. In a sense it depends on whether lower case has any meaning in your situation. If it does, but it's just not allowed then maybe the trigger is not so good.

Regards, David.