Re: Export to a ascii, tab delimited file

From: KeyStroke (Jack L. Swayze Sr.) <KeyStrk_at_Feist.Com>
Date: 1998/12/01

No one does. Oracle doesn't provide a way to turn those pesky extra spaces off. (Part of the Unix mentality, I guess.)

Two things you can do to mitigate the consequences, though. 1) put an extra tab at the end. That way all the extra spaces goes into one final column which can be deleted once you import it into MS Excel. 2) Find yourself a C programmer that is always bragging that C is the only way to go, ask him to 'prove it' by coding a little C program that will strip all the extra spaces off the end of a line. If he is any good, it should only take him a day or two to code and test it and deliver it to you. (The one I goaded into this did it in half a day.) Then in your Unix scripts, always have the file post-processed by that little C program. I would include the C code here, but it was developed using my employers resources, and I need to be faithful to my employer.

By the way, when the C programmer then brags that we need to do away with Oracle and use C and flat files to do everything, that is when you can spring the news on him that Oracle was coded in C.