Re: Standard Deviation - Are there any exixsting Oracle SQL Function

From: Christopher Beck <clbeck_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 13:24:46 GMT

On Wed, 02 Dec 1998 01:16:19 +0800, Norazman Sahir <norazman_at_ti.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Again a very straight forward question.
>In Ms Access there is a built in function to calculate a standard
>deviation (ie DStDev & DStDevP)
>Does Oracle SQL also have one?
>If so, can somebody give me the syntax examples...Thanks.

From the Oracle Server SQL Reference Manual

<quote>

STDDEV Syntax STDDEV([DISTINCT|ALL] x)

Purpose Returns standard deviation of x, a number. Oracle calculates the standard deviation as the square root of the variance defined for the VARIANCE group function.

Example

SELECT STDDEV(sal) ”Deviation”
FROM emp

Deviation

1182.50322

</quote>

hope this helps

chris.

--
Chirstopher Beck
Oracle Corporation

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Dec 01 1998 - 07:24:46 CST