Book for Beginner, Hierarchical documents....?

From: Josh Gough <exv_at_randomc.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 01:15:59 -0500

Hi, can anyone recommend a good book for learning Oracle 8, specifically if you can think of one that would help with the following kind of design. Already I know it will require working with triggers, sequences and procedures, especially to help me figure out how to build "auto incrementing" primary keys. I have read a little bit on this, but not much. I am ok on these, though could definitely learn much more. So I am pretty sure I need something which covers basic administration as well as design and PL/SQL topics. There are so many titles out there, just wondered if anyone could recommend one with which they have found success.

I have to build a database that will store many hierarchical documents of a similar format, basically following this kind of pattern:

Top Level Heading

    Sub Heading

         <textual content blah blah>
    Sub Heading 2

<textual content..>

Top Level Heading 2

    <textual contentsdfdsfdsf.............>     Sub Heading

<textual content......>

My initial ideas on this is to have a table of "nodes" for all the possible Top Level Headings and Sub Headings. The Sub Headings would have a foreign key reference to the unique id of their parent Top Level Heading. Each of these headings, whether top or sub, may or not may not have "textual children" based on a boolean flag. The actual bulk of the database would thus consist of these items, residing in a "text-items" table.

Ok, hope that made some sense!
Thanks for any advice :)

-Josh Received on Mon Nov 30 1998 - 00:15:59 CST