Problem installing Oracle on Linux

From: Scott Petinga <petinga_at_execpc.com>
Date: 1998/11/28

I have just started to install the Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux and have run into a little problem (I am using RedHat 5.1). I setup the proper oracle user and group and set up the proper env variables in the .profile of the oralce user I setup like so:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$ORACLE_HOME/lib"
ORACLE_BASE="/u01/app/oracle"
TMP_DIR="/tmp"
ORACLE_TERM="vt100"
PATH="$PATH:/$ORACLE_HOME/bin"
ORACLE_SID="doug"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH ORACLE_BASE TMP_DIR ORACLE_TERM ORACLE_SID PATH I then went in as the Oracle user and in /cdrom/orainst I looked for the file orainst like the instructions say but instead find:

00_TRANS.TBL crora.sh* install* root.sh

I am not sure where the orainst file is but I run install instead, it asks me a few questions (mentions that it will require only 300MB of disk space - this seems small) - what is the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID and then says "extracting from the CD". Then it says:

Do you want to create a database now? [n] y
Saving listener.ora -> listener.ora.sav
Saving tnsnames.ora -> tnsnames.ora.sav
Creating listener.ora ...
Creating tnsnames.ora ...
Creating database ...
Environment settings are in file in /opt/oracle/.env To set environment :

                $ cd $ORACLE_HOME; . ./.env

Installation complete.
Login as root and run root.sh

This is where all the problems start. I log into another term as root, set the env settings like it says (for both the oracle dba user and root just to be safe) with the .env script and then I try to run root.sh as root and receive the message:

[root_at_localhost orainst]# ./root.sh
Please set ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID environment variables before invoking this and run this as root
/bin/chmod: oracle: No such file or directory
/bin/chmod: oracle: No such file or directory
[root_at_localhost orainst]#

The problem that I have here is that the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID are set. When I echo these variables they are set:

[root_at_localhost orainst]# echo $ORACLE_HOME
/opt/oracle

[root_at_localhost orainst]# echo $ORACLE_SID doug

What seems to be the problem here? The one other thing here is that I have verified that the oratab file has been created. I was not able to find the oratab.sh script but I found a oratab in
/etc. I read in the documentation that this should be in
/var/opt/oracle. I have copied the /etc/oratab to this location
just to make sure. Can anyone tell me what it is that I need to do to run root.sh and exactly what the next step is in this crasy install process.

Thank you for your time. Received on Sat Nov 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CST