Re: OCI cursors and fork().

From: Michael Krolewski <vandra_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:32:04 -0800

You should be able to (connect in the parent and use the same connection for each child ). It is in the manual. The major issue is that everyone is sharing the same data area. You need to get exclusive rights to the connection, perform the task, then release the exclusive rights. This is done via semophores or the like.

You also need to open the database properly -- I forget the exact login command. One allow one and only one connection. One allow many other connections to open at the same time. Again in the OCI manuals.

There is also a multi-thread notification function that should be called once. Again, I cannot recall the name, but it allows for multithreaded calling. The default (if it is omited) is a single threaded environment for Oracle. Again, in the OCI manuals.

Mike Krolewski