Security in ORACLE

From: <mkoch_at_freiburg.netsurf.de>
Date: 1998/11/27

Hello everybody,

I started to create a new security concept for a database at our university. So I have a few newbie questions.
Yesterday I read the Oracle8 Server Administration Guide (ORACLE8) in Chapter 19 there is the following text:

Secure Connections with Encrypted Passwords To better protect the confidentiality of your password, ORACLE can be configured to use encrypted passwords for client/server and server/server connections. By setting the following values, you can require that the password used to verify a connection always be encrypted:
-Set the ORA_ENCRYPT_LOGIN environment variable to TRUE on
 the client machine.
-Set the DBLINK_ENCRYPT_LOGIN server initialization parameter
 to TRUE.
If enabled at both the client and server, passwords will not be sent accross the network in the clear, but will be encrypted using a DES algorithm.

So my question is:
1.) Did I have to set the ORA_ENCRYPT_LOGIN to TRUE on the client

    and on the server?
2.) What is the easiest way to test if the password is encrypted

    sent over the network?

Later in the same chapter they describe how to use your own password verification routine. Does anybody has some opinion what should be included in such a routine? Or does anybody has a good example ?

Many thanks in advance,
  -Marco Koch

Marco Koch
mkoch_at_privat.toplink.de