Oracle Support Service Quality

From: Atish Kumar <akumar_at_yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au>
Date: 27 Nov 1998 15:25:50 GMT

I would like some answers regarding the level of support oracle provide, and are people using it find it acceptable, etc. The following is a roblem I experienced today, and

I have used Oracle for many years now, and all this time, I have not needed to contact anyone directly at Oracle, except today, when I wanted to download some trial software, after registration, I find that the ftp.oracle.com was down (been 8++ hours since I know), and having gone to an Oracle conference yesterday, I had the Melbourne Australia branch number right almost on my desk, and upon calling from my cellular phone to see if Oracle realised that their server was down, I had done through 3 personell, and the 3rd person told me to explain her the problem again (i mentioned technet.oracle.com, and it looked like she had no idea what I was talking about, then I mentioned that the ftp.oracle.com machine is responding ping's, but the services on the port seems not running (connection refused...telnet ftp.oracle.com ftp), and suddently I had to explain again why I called, what my whatever number was, and how I managed to talk to them in the first place, since all clients are charged, and suddently, after explain her all over the god-damn story again, she asked me hold on, and see who can help me, gosh, I am looking at my phone which says I have just wasted around 20 min, and another 3 minutes of hold and still no response, until out of frustration I hung up.

Anyhow, back to the www.oracle.com.au, and after taking around 10 minutes+ to get to a page where there are phone numbers of melbourne office, ( I cannot seem to belive this, fron teh fonr page, I follow "Ask Oracle", then still no numbers, click "Australia" (of-course, I am already in australia, why have to click again), I get a mail-to. Gosh, I have never seen such level of web-design. Remember, this is now about 40 minutes past in sheer frustration.) Shouldn't "contact" pretty much be the first page of the damn webpage. (the www.oracle.com has fantactic site).

Now, in reflection:

BTW, I could not find an appropirate email to mail the problem in the first place, wich is why I thought I would call and see if Oracle Corp in Melb know about the problem, and be able to do something about it.

Disgusted.
Atish

--
Eats code, sleeps with OO, dreams of Patterns -- and still mutually exclusive While the rest of the days go by teaching

HomePage	: http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~akumar
Phone       : (613) 95720607 or 0414779733 (61414779733 for intl.)