Multiple fields with big texts

From: <tigra_at_sky.deep.ru>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 12:19:29 GMT

Hi! I'm using Perl DBI interface to Oracle (DBD::Oracle). My target is to write a driver for a database which has more than 1 big field of chars (> 4000 chars). I can't use VARCHAR2 (too small) or LONG (only 1 field per table available). So I decided to use LONG RAW. But these fields should be updated using hex numbers, not letters. The problem is that I can't apply any search on that fields using regular expressions (I use standard latin charset).

And the second: How can I pass a statement "DESC FOO_TABLE" to a DBD driver? I know that this is a PL/SQL feature. It works when I do it manually, but DBD returns smth like "Unknown instruction".

If anyone knows how to get through this please write me. Thank you in advance.