Re: PLEASE HELP!!! Error ORA-12154

From: Ken Hinerman <hinerman_at_erols.com>
Date: 1998/11/26

This is usually not an issue with a standard Oracle install but check to ensure the $TNS_ADMIN variable is pointing to the location of your tnsnames,ora file. Also check the syntax within your tnsnames.ora file, here is an example that works:

slcom2 =

   (DESCRIPTION =

      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
        (PROTOCOL=TCP)
        (HOST = dev5)   /* you could have an ip address here */
        (PORT = 1521)
       )
      )
      (CONNECT_DATA =
        (SID=slcom2)
 (GLOBAL_NAME=slcom2.reston)
      )

    )

Also can you perform the following test:

telnet dev5 1521

also try $ORACLE_HOME/bin/tnsping dev5

miguel wrote in message <01bdfce9$cee2ee00$0a0a2c0a_at_jmiguel.intra.cet.pt>...
>ORA-12154 TNS:Could not resolve service name
>
>Cause:The service name specified is not defined in the TNSNAMES.ORA file.
>Action:Make the following checks and correct the error:
>
>•Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper place and
>accessible. See the operating system specific manual for details on the
>required name and location.
>

>•Check to see that the service name exists in one of the TNSNAMES.ORA files
>and add it if necessary.
>

>•Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the file. Particularly
>look for unmatched parentheses or stray characters. Any error in a
>TNSNAMES.ORA file makes it unusable. See Chapter 4 in the SQL*Net
>Administrator's Guide. If possible regenerate the configuration files using
>the Oracle Network Manager.
>

>Pedro Silva <Pedro.Silva_at_rnl.ist.utl.pt> wrote in article
><700ivq$ikg$1_at_ci.ist.utl.pt>...
>> I've tried to install Oracle 7 (7.2 I think) and I create a database,
>> but when I try to access it I receive a ERROR: ORA-12154 General
 Connection