Re: JInitiator / Oracle JVM - Web Deployment

From: <cary_at_nams.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:59:44 GMT

Hello,

  We are testing deployment of Forms over the Web using JInitiator, OWAS 3.0, Oracle 8.0.4 database server, and the Forms server/listener provided with Developer Server v2.1. All of this software resides on an Acer Altos 9100b with dual 266MHz Pentium processors running NT 4.0, and our client workstations are Acer 200MHz Pentium MMX desktops running Win95 and connected to the Acer Altos server via conventional ethernet. Anyway, in response to your questions....I don't think that JInitiator makes the java client applet download any faster. JInitiator DOES perform caching of JARs, however, which improves the Form performance. As for the Oracle JVM, I believe it is all bundled up with JInitiator, which is delivered as an ActiveX control for MSIE or a plug-in for Netscape. I think the way all of this works is as follows....First, you must modify your default .html page so that it uses JInitiator (Oracle provides documentation showing how you can set up the page to work properly with either MSIE or Netscape). Second, you must install the JInitiator package on your server machine. When you try to access the default .html page for the first time from a browser running on a client machine, what happens next depends on whether you are using MSIE or Netscape.  On MSIE, you are asked if you want to accept a digitally signed ActiveX control, and upon replying in the affirmative, JInitiator is downloaded to your machine and the client applet rendered. On Netscape, you are directed to a JInitiator download page. Once downloaded, you must exit Navigator, install JInitiator, configure it (very straightforward), and revisit the .html page. For both browsers, once installed and configured on the client machine, Oracle JInitiator/JVM/JRE is always used when JInitiator is specified in a .html page. For what it's worth, I am finding that using JInitiator really improves the user experience with Forms deployed over the Web, and I strongly recommend using it (provided you are using the Windows platform for both client and server). To find out more about JInitiator, I suggest you check out the white papers at http://www.oracle.com/products/tools/dev2k/dn.html. Hope this helps.

Dr. Cary Lapoint