Re: Oracle Webserver - User Authentication

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:27:21 GMT

A copy of this was sent to kelly_parkinson_at_albertsons.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:22:37 GMT, you wrote:

>We have written a browser application that requires a user
>signon/authentication. The application supports a client/server application
>that has its own built-in security concept, and we are trying to pattern the
>browser security after the client (for ease of maintenance). The client
>application uses Oracle security for its initial check to ensure the user is
>a valid user of the database. Users are defined to the database with only
>connect privileges. When a user provides a userid and password, the
>application attempts a signon. If it is successful, the application then
>issue a reconnect and signs on as a "super user" with all privileges. The
>rest of the security features within the application are controlled by the
>application itself. We would like to do a similar thing, but it seems we
>can't issue the connects from inside webserver which itself is signed on as
>webuser -- another super user. Any thoughts?

You don't say what version of the OAS you are using or what cartridge. I'll assume 3.0 or up and the pl/sql cartridge.

In that case, you should use ORACLE_BASIC to protect the URLs that represent your application. You would also create a DAD with your super user name and password. In that way, OAS will ask the client browser for a username and password which it will validate against the database using Oracle_Basic, and then use the super user name and password stored with the DAD to actually log in and run the procedure with....

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Wed Nov 25 1998 - 10:27:21 CST