Oracle Webserver - User Authentication

From: <kelly_parkinson_at_albertsons.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:22:37 GMT

We have written a browser application that requires a user signon/authentication. The application supports a client/server application that has its own built-in security concept, and we are trying to pattern the browser security after the client (for ease of maintenance). The client application uses Oracle security for its initial check to ensure the user is a valid user of the database. Users are defined to the database with only connect privileges. When a user provides a userid and password, the application attempts a signon. If it is successful, the application then issue a reconnect and signs on as a "super user" with all privileges. The rest of the security features within the application are controlled by the application itself. We would like to do a similar thing, but it seems we can't issue the connects from inside webserver which itself is signed on as webuser -- another super user. Any thoughts?