Re: Where does the DBA function sit in the organisation structure?

From: MMK Productions <nospammmkprod_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: 1998/11/24

I don't think it is as important about where the DBA sits, as how he is backed up.

Situation:

    Developer: we need to make a change now, its an emergency!

    DBA: what/when/why/where...
    Dev: no, no, just do it
    Mgr: yes, it is probably fine, just do it, please

Professionally, the DBA is a gatekeeper. In this realistic scenario, he is now a doormat. It is very important the the SOPs be set up, agreed to, and then enforced. When you do this, build into the rules the protocol for emergencies because we all know they will happen. The DBA has to know what he can and cannot do in these situations. No one wants to feel like they have been dismissed from the decision making process because of "an emergency".

As a former developer, I know that it is no fun to have important changes to be held up for silly reasons also. So, the best interests of the env. must come first. I think that all of these concerns are best maintained when the rules are written down an enforced - and updated later if needed. Received on Tue Nov 24 1998 - 00:00:00 CST