Re: Best Way To Reorg?

From: <thomasj_at_platinum.com>
Date: 1998/11/23

In article <72uibr$jsn$1_at_supernews.com>,   cjwood_at_interaccess.com (Christopher J. Wood) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Platinum's TSReorg to do my Oracle database
> reorganization.
>
> A colleague mentioned that 8.0x now has this functionality
> built-in--meaning no more need for TSReorg!
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Chris Wood
>
> p.s., we're running SAP on top of Oracle.

Oracle is documenting a method for minimizing extent fragmentation, based on the way you allocate objects. This method can be a real hassle for DBAs, and requires some good guesswork/knowledge about the data -- before the tables and tablespaces are created. Storage techniques are unchanged from Oracle7.

Ora8 provides data structures and features (i.e. partitioning) that DBAs can manipulate to try and reduce some types of extent fragmentation. Based upon Oracle frag presentations at OOW and LAOUG, "Ora8 still fails to correct block level fragmentation."

If Ora8 solves fragmentation, why would Oracle continue to sell a reorg tool? Why would SAP offer a reorg tool in their current version (which requires Ora8)? Because it's not solved.

Janis Thomas
Platinum Technology, Inc.