Re: Help: UTL_FILE.FOPEN limit

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: 1998/11/23

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:47:39 GMT, susana73_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi, I am trying to use UTL_FILE package to dump out tables into text format.
>However, UTL_FILE.FOPEN has a limit of 1024 characters(does it make sence for
>a database?!). So I tried to modify the internal default package in
>/orant/rdbms/admin/utlfile.sql : FUNCTION fopen(location IN VARCHAR2,
>filename IN VARCHAR2, open_mode IN VARCHAR2, max_linesize IN
>BINARY_INTEGER) ### I add this line RETURN file_type;
>
>then run it as SYS, and rewrite my procedure:
>utl_file.fopen('c:\','filename','w',2000);
>However, when I execute it, I got the following err:
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-06508: PL/SQL: could not find program unit being called
>ORA-06512: at "user_name.procedure_name", line 44
>ORA-06512: at line 1
>
>What happen? Am I not suppose to modify the default sys package?

Enter the following query:

SELECT object_name, object_type, status
  FROM dba_objects
  WHERE object_name = 'UTL_FILE'
  AND object_type LIKE 'PACKAGE%';

You'll find your package to be valid, but the package body invalid. You can't change function declaration in the package specification without also changing the funtion in the coresponding package body!

In your case you should also change the function FOPEN in the UTL_FILE package body. However since this body is wrapped (file prvtfile.plb) you are unable to do this. As a bottom line: You can't change supplied packages since the source code of their bodies is provided as unreadable (ie wrapped) files.

>Thanks!!
>
>Susana

HTH, Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Mon Nov 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CST