Help: Query Against an Indexed Date Field

From: Peter Bishop <pjb_at_nortel.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 13:22:30 +0000

I have a large table with an indexed date field which I want to query against. The select statement is of the form:

    select .. from .. where (to_char(adate, 'DD-MON-YY') = '22-NOV-98';

Question 1 is, will this select use the index? I don't think it will because I'm not using an actual value for the select.

Question 2 is, if the index is not used, is there a way to query on a date in a way which will use the index.