Re: how important is data base design to programmers?

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 22 Nov 1998 00:04:00 GMT

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 00:26:57 GMT, Ameen2_at_msn.com wrote:

>Just skimming through a PL/SQL book, I see no mention of the different types
>of joins, and the larger picture of table structures, just snippits of code
>with explanations. Are people who do the data base programming usually
>different people from the designers? If one is hired to do oracle
>programming in PL/SQL, do they need to design as well or do they usually work
>exclusively with the code?

The reason that you don't see much discussion of joins, etc, is that PL/SQL is a programming language. Joins belong in a SQL book. Don't be confused just becouse the letters "SQL" form part of the name. You wouldn't buy a COBOL book and expect it to explain joins, or unions. It's the same w/PL/SQL. It is true that you can use SQL from within PL/SQL, but this is not much different than using SQL from within COBOL, C, etc...

Indeed, most PL/SQL programmers would also need a strong understanding of SQL. It's just that they would buy another book for that.

Jonathan Received on Sat Nov 21 1998 - 18:04:00 CST