Re: Lite vs. Enterprise?

From: <infolite_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 01:27:00 GMT

In article <3639C63F.47E7A595_at_pmglobal.nospam.edu>,   Tim Triemstra <timt_at_pmglobal.nospam.edu> wrote:
> "Terry Dykstra [TeamPS]" wrote:
> >
> > Use Personal Oracle, not Personal Oracle Lite if you want to develop locally
> > and move it to the server afterwards.
>
> What is the difference between Personal Oracle and Oracle Lite? Why
> would I use Personal Oracle as a step to the Enterprise Edition rather
> than Oracle Lite. I appreciate any help I receive as I don't want to
> waste too much of my time on the wrong product :) Thanks!

Oracle Lite 3.5.0.1.0 is about 95% SQL compatible with Oracle 7.3 or 8.0 with the following exceptions: PL/SQL (Lite uses Java stored procedures), space management (Lite doesn't have tablespaces), all the object stuff in Oracle8, lots of SQL functions missing like SOUNDEX and ATAN (hope you won't miss 'em).

Tim is right, though. If you want to move up the food chain start with Personal Oracle. If you intend to move down to Palm Pilot or Windows CE, start with Oracle Lite. Developer 2000 Forms apps can actually include PL/SQL that is run in the application, not the database, and still run against Oracle Lite.

--
Charlie Crane
Marketing Technical Support