Re: DB cannot open due to the invalid archive dest?

From: <mgogala_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 05:43:50 GMT

In article <72rsjl$k60$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   dingfei_at_163.net wrote:
> Hi! All, i meet a strange problem:
>
> In the Init.ora i define the log_archive_dest, but whenever i open the DB,
> the error report says that the archive dest is invalid, even the archive_dest
> has been changed, the error remains. So i have to change to noarchivelog
> mode, then open the DB, and no any reports. why? how to do with it?

Trick is probably in the specification of log_archive_dest parameter. This doesn't specify just directory, it also specifies the leading portion of archive file names. For instance, if you want your files to reside in /disk2/ora_archive and be named like 'arch%t_%s (t=thread,s=sequence number), then you'll have to specify it like this: log_archive_dest=/disk2/ora_archive/arch This is init.ora parameter and is well described in DBA guide. There is also a parameter named log_archive_format, which is also worth studying. I work on Solaris 2.6 and I don't know about NT, but it should be similar. Nevertheless, my advice is to stick with decent operating systems i.e. Unix environments.
Mladen Gogala