Re: Delete is very slow

From: P. Larsen <plarsen_at_ballston.uscg.mil>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:09:52 -0500

Hi,
Depends on how you defined your table - the following issues will slow down delete:

  1. Number of indexes
  2. Number of extents
  3. Number of constraints with CASCADE option set
  4. Clustered tables

It looks like your Oracle server is too large. 64MB is minimum for a small database. M$ takes the first 32MB just to run NT - and if you have any other network services running that takes more ram. Try reducing your SGA size so your database does not cause memory swaps.

Look at the above areas.
If you have had a lot of rows in your table and keep deleting them, remember to recreate your indexes too. Truncate might help you, but won't always be available depending on how you have defined your database constrants. Remember, Oracle does NOT deallocate index entries on delete - the index keeps growing until you truncate/delete it.